Saturday, March 17, 2007

Get It Together

**Author's Note - Hi again ya'll! Glad you could stop by for a moment! This is not the blog I had originally planned to be next, but recent events have prompted it. I'm a member of several pro-Confederate, pro-Southern post sites (on yahoo, msn, etc.). Now please don't get me wrong - these sites have been an invaluable source of information on things going on in our Southland. And to the moderators of those sites, my hat is off to ya'. It's all I can do to keep a little blog going once a week or so. I can't imagine what it takes to keep those sites and posts up and running. It's just that lately, I've noticed a lot of "infighting" going on, and well, I guess today was just the last straw. So, here's my opinion again. I hope maybe some of you all can offer some solutions.** Ladies and Gentlemen, The constant arguing is getting us nowhere! This infighting is so counter-productive! Everyone can check this group daily to see whether their post on their opinion of HK has been posted. Everyone can check and see whether the advice given to another state under the "what ya'll should've done" guise has been posted. Everyone can check to see if their post on "Ya'll check out what I did for Southern Defense - give ME some credit" has been posted. And yet nothing gets accomplished ~ wonder why? Why wasn't everyone following the debate in the VA Legislature and writing their letters and making their phone calls BEFORE the apology passed? Why haven't people been posting contact info on the scalawags in Lee Co. FL, and then folks checking THAT post and making their phone calls and writing their letters and where able, GOING to the Commissioners office and talking to these people? Why are we POST-active? Folks, if the South had been this "together" in the war, it wouldn't have lasted 4 months, much less 4 years! And I'm not sitting here pointing fingers thinking I'm above reproach - I'm not. I'm guilty too. And I sit here now, realizing the atrocity we've committed - I'VE let down my ancestors, I'VE let down my homeland - I think we all have. I know this hasn't been intentional on ANYone's part. We ALL want to preserve our heritage. We ALL want to carry on the honor of our ancestors. We all want to rise to the defense of Dixie. But, we've GOT to come together to do it! We've got to stop looking for the self-glorification. We've got to stop judging people and individually deciding who can and who can't defend our beloved South. We can't pass judgement on someone's intentions just because they've asked for financial help to continue their method of fighting the battle. So HK has asked for this financial help. When was the last time any of us set up at a re-enactment and didn't sell brochures for $3. When have we had a set up that we didn't sell flags for $10 each? When have we not sold raffle tickets for a replica of an 1861 pistol, or a Confederate blanket, or a cotton-made flag? ALL to raise money for what we're trying to do? I can't believe the pettiness we've sunk to! We've got to put an end to it! I've even seen sarcastic remarks on HK's plan to run for mayor. This floors me, as I would think any of the like-minded folks we can get into public office would have to help our cause. Heck, I've even thought about running against Ward Armstrong here in VA thanks to his acquiescence with regards to THEIR apology. I would like to think there would be some support out there, as opposed to the back-biting and undermining I've seen with regards to HK. And no, this isn't another PRO or ANTI HK post. It's a pro-South, pro-defend Dixie, pro-Southern Heritage post. We've GOT to stop the infighting. We've GOT to stop the undermining of others and the self- grandizing of some. We've GOT to show a united front, and with some of the posts I've seen, it just "ain't happenin' ". And yes, we've all attended the Appomattox Cemetary Memorial; or we've gone to pay respects at the Lee/Jackson event in Lexington; or we've organized rallies in Selma or protests at NASCAR events; or we've tried to educate at some of the week-end encampments. And we HAVE to continue that. We have to stay on the defense. But what if, just WHAT IF, we came together enough to act instead of just REact. What if we were strong enough to ask for Confederate History month to be NATIONALLY recognized? How incredible would that be? We can't do things like that as individuals. We can't accomplish these things carrying on with the same mentality I've seen in some of these posts. We've GOT to come together. Think of the way the men, outnumber and outgunned at Gettysburg practically begged General Lee to "let us go just one more time General Lee - we can whoop 'em this time, we know we can". We don't have General Lee with us here today, not physically. But we do have his memory. We do have the defense of his honor. And we have the spirit of EVERY soldier who gave his life in defense of the South. Will that not be enough to pull us together again, to fight TOGETHER again, and just maybe be victorious this time? For the love of the South, Donnette rebeldame@earthlink.net

3 comments:

Charlie Bishop said...

If you're serious about running against Ward, our resident ninny, contact me.

On second thought, even if you're not serious about running against Ward contact me anyway. I'm on a serious hunt for someone to challenge him, maybe you can help me find that someone.

Oh, and welcome to the Virginia Blog community. I just discovered you today.

Alton Foley
imnotemeril@yahoo.com
My blog...http://imnotemeril.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Well said RebelDame!

I have been saying for years that the lack of unity on the part of Southerners and our Heritage groups has severly hampered our ability to defend our beloved South from the attacks of our enemies. I am glad to see others feel the same way.

I for one am willing to put Dixie and our Heritage before myself or any need for glory. I can only hope that other Southerners will feel the same and put aside their differences for the good of our children and our history.


Virginia Confederate

Anonymous said...

Well written from a yankee who loves the south, the Confederate flag, the movie "Gods and Generals" and anything else Southern that I haven't thought to mention.